Friday, August 15, 2014

Hard, but Good - The College Edition Part 2

The other day I shared some reflections on the lessons I learned in college.  I have a few more to share and these are probably more of my favorite!

Hard, but Good #4 - I used campus resources
My #3 lesson was that I struggled and had some tough times in college.  What helped me get through those various circumstances was using some of the resources that abound and are oftentimes free on a college campus.  When I struggled in classes, I went to a tutor or Supplemental Instruction or even scarier, I went to my professor's office hours!!!  Professors can be intimidating, but they are also human and they have their jobs because they want to help students and see them do well.  If you are really stuck with your course material, step out of your comfort zone, believe the best (what's the worst that could happen?!), and get your questions answered by the ones who know best.  Think too how it could pay off for you in the future.  If professors start to get to know you, they'll be more inclined to serve as a reference for you in pontential jobs or maybe share different opportunities that fit your strengths and goals.  As someone who does write a lot of recommendation letters, I know this is true!

In my role as Coordinator of Tutoring, I wish students would take more advantage of all the resources they have before them (I even wish I utilized more of the resources at my college!).  Don't just see a tutor or use a resource when you are trouble; be proactive about using them so you can stay ahead and grow.

Hard, but Good #5 - I got involved
Getting involved in college is often what makes it such a special and significant time.  This was true for me and many others I know.  I dabbled in a few different things before I found my niche so it's okay if it takes you a year or so to find where you really want to invest your time.  In college the key is quality, not quantity when it comes to getting involved.  The two most significant outside the classroom activities/experiences I was involved in were Cru, a campus ministry organization, and being a Summer Orientation Leader.  These two experiences really set the trajectory for my life.

Through Cru, I grew a ton in my faith and through that developed values and convictions that have driven almost all of my decisions and the way I live my life.  I even spent a few years working for Cru and formed amazing friendships and had incredible, life-changing experiences and opportunities.  Through being a Summer Orientation Leader, I realized I wanted to work with college students and being part of their college experience.  I even learned about the University of South Carolina and it's commitment to first-year students and ended up coming to grad school AND working here!  I also learned a ton about myself through that position and met some amazing people.

Hard, but Good #6 - I didn't date in college
Okay, please do not read this the wrong way...I am NOT against dating!!! :)  In college or at any time!  I LOVE love!  We need more of it in the world!  Did I want a boyfriend in college?  Absolutely!  I also think it's awesome that couples who did meet and date in college have those years as part of their story.  However, as I look back on the years I was single, I am so grateful I had that time to be challenged, to learn more about myself, to try new things, to learn how to make decisions on my own, to be independent.  And now that I've been married to my husband for almost year, I am even more grateful; he's my favorite example of God's perfect timing and plan. :)

So there you have it!  And sorry to end on a sappy note!  College is such a wonderful time and one that will (hopefully) provide tons and tons of memories, lessons, experiences, and friendships that will last your whole life!

No comments: