Friday, August 1, 2014

High Five For Friday

It's been awhile since I posted on here!  I was really wanting to post something at least once a week, but got busy, went out of town, and honestly, I had a case of writer's block!  Yesterday I got a couple ideas for posts, but since it's Friday and I'll share my High Five Friday!

1. Last weekend we spent a few days in Charlottesville, VA with my mom, sister, brother-in-law, and nephew.  It was so great to spend time with them.  Charlottesville is about a 6 hour drive for each of us.  We stayed at a great little resort called the Boars Head Inn.  To our surprise, it has nothing to do with the deli meat brand, but it was so quaint and classy.  It's connected with the University of Virginia and the sports club on site is where their tennis team practices and has indoor matches.  That facility was incredible!  We also went to Monticello, home of Thomas Jefferson, walked around campus, ate at some good restaurants, relaxed, and enjoyed time together!

2. It's Tax-Free Weekend here in South Carolina!  Having grown up in Pennsylvania and Delaware where there is no sales tax on clothes and shoes (no sales tax at ALL in DE!!!), I still cringe a little bit when my purchase is 8% more than what's on the tags.  Tax-free weekend is meant to be a perk for back-to-school shoppers so there's no tax on clothes, shoes, bedding, electronics, etc.  I don't really need much right now, but I'm hoping I can take advantage of the "holiday" and get down to the sidewalk sale on Devine Street here in Columbia which has some adorable little stores and boutiques.

3. The weather the past few days has been awesome!  Low humidity and low temps for July (never hit 90!).  I've been loving it!  This morning it rained pretty hard and there's rain in the forecast all weekend so that's kind of a bummer, but some times those rainy days are nice because you don't feel the pressure to be doing anything.

4. I love to cook and in the past few months and year I've tried some recipes that have become part of our dinner rotation.  We had two this week:
Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken
Chipotle Shrimp and Cheddar Grits

I don't have pictures, but trust me, they're great! :)

5. I broke down and got a parking pass for one of the garages on campus. I have mixed feelings about high-fiving this one.  Since I've been at USC, I always got the free parking passes which were, of course, for lots a decent walk away from my office. I just couldn't justify to pay to park at work and I also usually didn't mind the walk.  In a few weeks, though, my beloved free lot is being closed to be turned into an apartment building (don't even get me started on that!).  There is going to be another free lot, but it will be even further away.  The nice thing about having the pass is the shorter drive and shorter walk, which I was especially grateful for today as a downpour hit right when I got to campus! :)

Have a great weekend y'all!!! :)

No comments: