Monday, October 27, 2014

Comfort Food and Dinner Time

One of the things about my childhood for which I am so fortunate is that most nights a week, my family and I sat down together for dinner at home.  I don't think I completely appreciated it at the time, but now that I'm older, married, and will hopefully have a family of my own soon, I really see the importance and beauty of having a time to connect, unwind, and share a meal together.

I love to cook! (I think I've mentioned this before!)  And I really love to cook in the fall.  There's just something special about comfort foods and eating something warm and savory when it's cool outside and of course, nothing beats the smell of apples, cinnamon, or pumpkin baking!

One my favorite new comfort foods and new favorite recipes is Spaghetti and Homemade Meatballs from one of my favorite blogs Everyday Occassions.  It's not too hard and so delicious.  A few weekends ago I spent a wonderful Sunday afternoon making a double batch.  So if you are needing a quick, delicious, and impressive recipe, give this one a try and let me know how it goes!  To see this recipe on the blog, follow the link and search "Meatballs" in the search bar.

Homemade Meatballs 
Ingredients:
1 pound of ground beef (I've also used "Meatloaf Mix" - beef and pork - and it's delicious!)
2 slices of bread
2 cloves of garlic
Fresh parsley, chopped (I've left this out and haven't noticed much of a difference.  When I did use it, I used about 2 Tbsp)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp milk
1 egg
Salt and pepper to taste

Food Processor Method:
Begin by cutting or tearing break in to cube.  In food processor, put garlic and parsley. Pulse until finely chopped.  Add parmesan cheese cut into 1-inch cubes if not already grated.  Pulse until fine.  Add break in small batches and pulse.  Add mixture to ground beef (in separate bowl).  Add egg, milk, salt, and pepper.  Then mix with a fork, keeping the mixture light and fluffy.

By Hand Method:
Tear bread into small pieces.  Add grated parmesan, minced garlic, parsley, salt and pepper.  Add eggs and milk. Mix together.  Add mixture to ground beef.  Mix with a fork, keeping the mixture light and fluffy.

Form into balls with an ice cream scoop and place on a baking sheet.  Cook meatballs under a high broiler on high for 7-9 minutes until just browned on outside or cook meatballs at 425 for 20 minutes (I sometimes get scared of the broiler!)

We serve these meatballs with angel hair pasta and Classico Sweet Basil sauce.  

Bon Appetit!

No comments: